On 5/23/2014 10:02 AM, Grinsell, Don wrote:
I have an end user job that is getting a JCL error and I know how to fix it but
I can't explain exactly why it's failing.  I can recreate the error with the
following JCL:

//STEP1 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD1 DD DSN=F00.DUMMY,DISP=(NEW,PASS,DELETE),
// UNIT=TEMPSTOR,SPACE=(TRK,1),RECFM=FB,LRECL=80
//STEP2 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD1 DD *
RECORD1
// DD DSN=F00.DUMMY,DISP=OLD
//STEP3 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD1 DD DSN=F00.DUMMY,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,KEEP)

F00.DUMMY gets allocated in STEP1 and is deleted at the end of STEP2 causing
STEP3 to get a JCL error.  I can correct the situation by specifying
DISP=(OLD,PASS) in STEP2 or simply removing STEP3.  My question is why does the
dataset get deleted in STEP2?

Is it because you have no ddname on the F00.DUMMY DD statement?

-Steve Comstock