You don't need to IPL to add or remove datasets from linklist.

You can create a new PROGxx member that uses another linklist name (other than
your default 00), and then issue the "T PROG=xx" that points to that new
linklist, then you can issue the SETPROG command to make the new linklist the
active one to all tasks (JOB=*), then the old dataset can be deleted without it
being part of the active linklist.

I do this all the time when I'm installing a new system for one of our clients.
 You can't really be IPLing every time you change a dataset or install a new
product.

Brian