I forgot to mention that you can reduce the risks of using
SETPROG LNKST,UPDATE
by specifying the DELAY=nnn     parameter.  This causes
the processing to wait for nnn seconds after doing the update before
freeing control blocks for now unused LNKLSTs.  This allows time for
operations against old LNKLSTs to complete before control blocks that
they may have been using get freed.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY