On 12 September 2014 10:38, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> wrote:
> however, ibm CKD dasd had a peculiar power failure mode ... that might
> occur in the middle of a write operation ... there would be sufficient
> power to complete a write in progress ... but not sufficient power to
> continue transmitting the data from processor memory over the channel
> ... so the controller completed the write operation with all zeros (and
> no indication of a read/write failure). As far as i know, none of the
> other mainframe systems made any software provisions to handle this
> particular failure mode of ibm ckd dasd.

That's a not unreasonable implementation of an architected behaviour
on the B&T/OEMI channel to CU interface, independent of power failure.
If an I/O reset is received by the control unit while a write is in
progress, it completes the write with zeros. What would be a more
reasonable behaviour on a disk with little or no buffering? So in
theory it's possible to corrupt data on disk just by hitting System
Reset (or Load) during a disk write. If you look at the probability
it's pretty unlikely, but I worked at one place that had a strict rule
about hitting stop and waiting a few seconds before doing the reset or
load.

Tony H.