You will know that it is up by a couple of ways.

1)  From the started task log, you should see messages like below:

EPW0051I FFSTFFDC: INITIALIZATION OF FFST/FFDC COMPLETE
EPW0201I EPWFFST: INITIALIZATION OF FFST/ESA IN PROGRESS
EPW0505I EPWFFST: FFSTPARM MEMBER START00 NOT FOUND
EPW0505I EPWFFST: FFSTPARM MEMBER TRNSABCD NOT FOUND
EPW0202I EPWFFST: INITIALIZATION OF FFST/ESA COMPLETE
EPW0505I EPWFFST: FFSTPARM MEMBER EPWHWR01 NOT FOUND
EPW0509I EPWFFST: NOW USING LOGID FFSTLOG1
EPW0250I EPWPITSK: FFST INITIALIZATION FOR FFSTV1R2 COMPLETE
EPW0250I EPWPITSK: FFST INITIALIZATION FOR VTAM COMPLETE
EPW0250I EPWPITSK: FFST INITIALIZATION FOR TCP COMPLETE
EPW0250I EPWPITSK: FFST INITIALIZATION FOR CSM COMPLETE

2) You should also have some datasets  allocated (CKPT, DUMP, LOG1, LOG2 &
PARMLIB).  The LOG will give you more detail information from its processing
and if a dump was taken within FFST, it should be in the DUMP dataset.

Craig