From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Calculation involving SMF CPU Time

Lindy Mayfield wrote:

>I needed to pull off some user SMF records, and so I used a small program that
>I had written about 6 or so years ago.  In it, I have a line of code like this:

>SMFCPU = SMFCPU / 38400

>I honestly cannot remember why I did that, to divide by 38400, but I must have
>had a good reason.  It doesn't appear to be time related.  I'm sure someone
>here knows, though.

I believe there are good reasons, since 38400 is a product of 640 and 60.

I vaguely remember some threads about that, something about 'ticks' or CPU
Timer which if you multiply it enough, you will come at about 1 second.

Ok, After some RTFM in SMF book, POP, macros references, I believe it is
26.04166 microseconds (one timer unit), which if you multiply it by 38400, you
arrive at 999 999.744 which could be translated to about 1 second AFAIK.

What I know the resolution of CPU values in SMF records are in hundreds of
seconds, while the STORE CLOCK (EXTENDED) use more bits in the clock value
which is higher resolution.

Alternatively, could you be kind to show all statements which contain SMFCPU
before that SMFCPU / 38400?

This is to see how you got your SMFCPU in the first place and at wat value
format it was.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht