When you attach the subtask, specify ESTAI=whatever.

When you force DETACH the subtask, the ESTAI will get control. One thing about ESTAIs (that's not true for ESTAEs) is that they can return to RTM with RC=16 (via SETRP of course). This means "don't percolate the abend any further. Just go quietly into the night. Do not rage rage against the dying of the light".

IHTH,
Dave Cole