Part of the reason for going to a new backend (code generator/optimizer)
in COBOL V5.1 was that the new backend already supports AMODE 64.  This is
another step in the direction of AMODE  64 COBOL.  The first steps were
to get infrastructure in LE, get AMODE 64 support for COBOL into plan for
CICS, DB2 and DFSORT, and make sure that all of the players are playin'!
AMODE 64 COBOL is already in our plans, but it is not going to be in V5.x.

Sorry, we are working on it, but we may be too late to help you Scott!

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<