I've worked with mainframes and then other technologies for a long time -- and have always sought communities relevant to whatever technology niche I was in. By "communities" I mean people, companies, organizations -- anyone with whom I shared interest in some broad-or-narrow technology (mainframes, VM, computer security, medical IT, Windows, email, consumer technology, telematics, etc.).

And I've always known people who, for whatever reason, didn't avail themselves of such resources. Which seemed to me to be willfully flying blind, rather than sharing/receiving anything/everything that would make their jobs easier.

So, for Destination z -- what community resources should others take advantage of, participate in, contribute to, benefit from, collaborate with, etc.?

I'm more interested in off-beaten-path pointers but would also like stories on how people benefit from mainstream resources (e.g., SHARE, NaSPA, Destination z, IBM Systems Magazine, publications from http://enterprisesystemsmedia.com/, VM Workshop, WAVV, IBM conferences, local user groups, discussion lists, LinkedIn groups).

What's missing from my list? What are your favorites? Why; how have they helped you? How did you find them? What niche/specialized resources need more visibility/participation?

As usual, please be (relatively) brief -- I'll query for additional information. And copy replies to me directly to avoid info being trapped in list digests.

Thanks...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433