Hi,

The HSM ML2 Disk support is very basic with no plans to enhance it.  For
clients who don't want physical tape anymore (for whatever reason), they
generally select either a disk-only VTS ML2 or implement all ML1.  If you go
all ML1, I would recommend implementing ML1 Overflow volumes to help ensure
that you have space for larger data sets.  For ML1 Overflow volumes, the
selection algorithm selects the volume with the least amount of freespace that
will contain the data set, in order to maximize the most amount of freespace on
the volumes.  (Standard ML1 selection chooses the volume with the most
freespace which results in volumes getting filled evenly but not leaving any
volume with a significant amount of freespace for larger data sets).

Evey client that I have talked to that has implemented a large disk-cache VTS
is very pleased with the HSM improvements.  For large customers and those who
need to minimize storage costs, the VTS also has backend physical tape.