Gil mentioned the "DATA SET SUMMARY" section.

I presume his use involved the file system. For a data set, the lines in
that section would not come close to reaching column 84.

For example,
DDNAME    CONCAT   FILE IDENTIFICATION

LPALIB      01     SYS1.LPALIB
SYSOBJS     02     TESTUSER.OBJS

I would guess that many who read the append did not realize that the
original post related to presentation of a "long" path name. I know that I
did not.

Regardless, for whatever reason, when the binder was developed going on 25
years ago someone implemented "put 64 columns of path name info per line".
Maybe they thought that was a reasonable amount, maybe they wanted a power
of two; I have no idea.

This has apparently not been an issue to anyone.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design