On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 02:23:41PM -0500, John Gilmore wrote:
> Marian [Adam] Rejewski is of particular interest.  He was the first to
> break Enigma encodings.  His work and that of his colleagues was made
> available to the British in early 1940 and was known to Alan Turing.
>
> His paper, published in Applicationes mathematicæ [Warsaw], volume 16
> (1980), is still the very best explanation of how the reading of
> Enigma messages was mechanized.  It is in English, slightly quaint but
> entirely accessible English---I could not write Polish half so
> well---and it still repays attention.

Do you mean this one?

Marian Rejewski
An Application of the Theory of Permutations in Breaking the Enigma Cipher

http://www.impan.pl/Great/Rejewski/article.html

Since I write again about this, I need to point out the role of
French. Their German agent, working inside German cryptographic dept,
Hans-Thilo Schmidt [1], gave back plenty of materials, including
operating procedures and manuals. Those in turn were given to British
and Polish cryptographers. French and Britons gave up, however. In
Poland, the new materials contributed towards solving equations which
Rejewski used to describe E*'s operation.

Also, I am under impression that during the war, our cooperation with
the French much more resembled a partnership. As compared to
cooperation with other Allies. No whining, just an observation. Also,
I may be prejudiced and wrong, maybe later I find out some new info
and will change opinion (again).

There are other aspects of all this, like Polish network in Africa
(mostly northern, I think). I have barely scratched the
subject. Actually, I am just a lowest form of hobbyist, a reader of
blogs :-).

Anyway, I am yet to see a movie as interesting as those real life
stories. If I wanted to wait, it would have been a long wait.

--

[1] Schmidt was arrested by Germans in 1943 and months later committed
suicide in prison.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola