>> A suggestion then: Specify a SYMBOLS logging DD, as I did in my example.  It
>> *should* tell you what substitutions were actually made. >> I believe I've
>> read of such; I don't readily find it in the JCL Reference.
The JCL reference explains the SYMBOLS parameter as:

SYMBOLS parameter
Parameter type
Keyword, optional
Purpose
Use the SYMBOLS parameter to request JES to perform symbol substitution within
in-stream data.
Syntax
SYMBOLS=({JCLONLY|EXECSYS|CNVTSYS} [,logging-DDname])
Valid values: Specify one of three SYMBOLS= values:
JCLONLY [snip]
EXECSYS [snip]
CNVTSYS [snip]
logging-DDname
Optional parameter that indicates a valid DD name for the data set to use for
logging results of the symbol substitution. Rules for DD names are described in
?DDNAME parameter? on page 150. Note that logging-DDname is ignored if it is
specified on the DD statement which describes a data set that is the target on
the PARMDD keyword (see ?PARMDD parameter? on page 354).

Note the last sentence!

I appreciate the possibility of substituting symbols in instream data. However,
 I cannot understand how one (IBM) can desing so many "surprise, surprise"
effects into such functionality in the 21st century.  Paul listed many of them
in an earlier post. This is just one more one cannot readily understand.

--
Peter Hunkeler