On 2014-12-30, at 15:54, Nims,Alva John (Al) wrote:

> I am not going to respond about the ISPF PACK option, that has been answered
> by posts already.
>
> I would like to add some information about the use of PIPEs in JCL and
> otherwise.
>
> #1 There is a product that I think it can still be ordered but not really
> supported anymore and I am not sure of the name, but one of it's features was
> that it provided a TSO PIPE command.  I think it was part of the product,
> "BatchPipes for OS/390 Version 2 Release 1, the main function was to provide
> the capability of multiple jobs running on different LPARs to provide data to
> another job, via a "PIPE", but it also provided a TSO command, "PIPE" that
> provided PIPE functions, in the same style as what is built into NETVIEW.
> An example: PIPE > DDNAME=XYZ | CHANGE /abc/cba/ | > DDNAME=ZYX
> It is not like UNIX PIPEs, but somewhat the same functionality.
>
> #2. I went to www.ibm.com and did a search on "mvs batchpipes" and among the
> hits, was this article: "Two Kinds of PIPEs"
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/MartinPacker/entry/two_kinds_of_pipes5?lang=en

This is called, somewhat optimistically, by its partisans, "CMS/TSO Pipelines":

    http://vm.marist.edu/~pipeline/#BPW

People have reported difficulties ordering the TSO flavor: some sales
reps can't identify the product.  The page cited provides a part number
for the documentation but none for the product.

-- gil