>>I just want to understand ?how?.
 >Why?

I genrally say there is no stupid question, but this one is an exception. There
is no use in asking why someone wants to understand how something works. The OP
stated that he would like to get a deeper understanding. That should suffice to
provide information if available instead tring trying to get justification on
the why.

No offence intended, Elardus, but you just did answer in a similar way to my
query yesterday. I clearly stated that I'm curious to understand how OPEN
works. I'm a curious guy.

> I'm asking because you can't use RDW directly with standard methods.

So you don't consider BSAM a standard way of working with data? I do not say it
is used very often in all days programming, but I still consider this a
standard method. And you do, well actually you must deal with RDWs and even
BDWs yourself.

--
Peter Hunkeler