Thank you for reposting

The use of my_size was indeed wrong, so I dumped more than I needed.  Only
first two lines are relevant!  I did not want to compile and run again because
it was late at night

I do not have access now, but the definition of regmatch_t is in the regex.h.
Regardless of that definition, the library functions gives me back:
1 variable of 32 bits
3 variables of 64 bits

I would not mind if I get 4 variables of 32 bits or 4 variables of 64 bits, I
could handle each possibility, but the runtime consists of load modules and
does not depend on my compile options.  The library function may be super smart
and communicate with my program based on how I compile it (32 or 64 bits) but
it has to do it consistently!

The problem is that the results are inconsistent and cannot be explained
neither by what z/OS is used, nor by what language or compiler options are used.

I ask again, please repeat my test and if you get same results, report it to
IBM (I do not have any standing with IBM, but you may have!)

ZA