On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 06:44:18AM -0600, John McKown wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
> 0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> > Here we go again:
> >     http://www.wired.com/2015/02/lenovo-superfish/
> >
> > And, a classic (Ken Thompson ca. 1984):
> >     http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html
> >
> > -- gil
> >

> ​The above is why I use Linux and not Windows, except when work
> forces me to use Windows. Granted, I do not _personally_ vet that
> Fedora 21 and all the stuff in it are valid. But there are a _lot_
> of people who, together, do tend to review all the stuff in those
> packages. So I trust them _more_ that I trust MS and other
> vendors.

My current attitude towards Linux, despite using it since 1994 (I
guess, memory blur, where are the notes?..) is, that recent almost
univocal adoption of systemd smells [1]. I just cannot tell if it
smells roses or fish. I am looking at FreeBSD now, with
OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana/etc as possible "plan C". I guess/hope I won't
have too consider "plan D" for at least five years, but, of course I
am always interested in learning.

> ​ And I trust Linux hardware vendors more than those who get extra
> money for installing "adware" and the like.

I'm afraid this is the very same hardware.

> If you like this problem, you'll love the Samsung "Smart TV" with
> its ad-injection during the play of _your_ personally recorded
> videos. "OOPS, how did that get into the field? It was just for
> to end up wiping _all_ my home routers and installing OpenWRT. Those
> vendors are likewise "suspect".  ​

Perhaps the future of the successful few is to go the way they did it
in "Battlestar Galactica" (a recent one, I haven't seen 1970-ish
version). I.e. "I want my computers/hardware to be dumb and not
talking to each other". Of course, model 6 is excluded from this harsh
rule.

[1] Last time I looked, only two big distros stayed away, or rather,
Gentoo said I would be able to choose between initd and systemd, and
Slackware claimed they won't adopt systemd. Others switched, are going
to switch or are closing their shop. So there are some promises right
now, but longer term, I think the game is over in this field. Debian,
which I regarded highly enough to use from 1997 on, decided to toast
itself. Cut the ropes! ;-/

Morale: trust, what's this?

--
Regards,