I had this situation once when I was sharing a catalog between two LPARs.  The
catalogue were large and were being updated by both systems.

It turn out that when a update from system A is done to the catalog, buffers
are invalidated on system B.  When system B need to inquire on a dataset, all
the required buffers need to be re-read.

If system A and B keep invalidating each other's buffers, high CPU and I/O are
required to protect the integrity of the catalog.

Just a thought from my experience.

Chip