On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 22:37:58 +0200, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

>I cannot seem to force fixed point overflow under PL/1. Specified (FOFL) as a
>statement qualifier and it does not seem to affect the compile.

I believe I've read (perhaps even in these pages) that:

o The C standard states:
  - The value resulting from an operation on signed operands when
    the mathematical result is outside the value set of the result time
    is implementation-defined.
  - It does not state that an error is allowed to occur.
  - Many C programmers rely on the assumption that no error will
    be reported, perhaps even assuming it will be treated modulo(
    cardinality( value set ) ).

o The C compiler and runtime are coming increasingly to share
  code with PL/1, so in order to accommodate the C carelessness
  the common compiler backend and runtime no longer report
  integer overflows.

I'm dismayed.  But I'm likewise dismayed that HLASM tolerates
division by zero in assembly-time arithmetic.

--gil