I have just noticed a very strange behaviour of an MPF exit that is supposed to
suppress messages from hardcopy log. The exit does this:
OI    CTXTRFB2,CTXTRDTM

We have an abundance of IEC161I messages that clutter up hardcopy log (among
other things). So I set the exit to suppress iec161i while the joblog and the
TSO user still get it. This was the result:
TSU00606 00100211  IEC161I
056-084,xxxxxx,ISPFPROCISPFPROC,IPCSDDIR,,,xxxxxx.DDIR, 533
     533 00100211  IEC161I xxxxxx.DDIR.D,CATALOG.USER

Note that the message clearly says it 'bypassed hardcopy', but it didn't,
otherwise I would not have seen it in hardcopy log. (It normally gets issued
with these flags in hclog: 00000090 - not serviced by any exit, automation
requested.)

Then I tried the same exit on
00000090  $HASP373 jobname   STARTED - INIT 1    - CLASS A - SYS ADCD
00000291  $HASP395 jobname   ENDED

These messages got suppressed without a problem. Now comes the puzzling part:
When I tried IEC161I again (same exit, no source code change, no lla refresh,
just another t mpf command to remove suppression of hasp373/395), IEC161I
*also* got suppressed as it should have been all along. z/OS maintenance level
is fairly recent, MFA is disabled, we run NetView 5.4 at a fairly old
maintenance level. No IEA364E had been issued during this IPL.

What am I missing here? Why did it not work all along?

Barbara