Robert Wessel <robertwess...@yahoo.com> writes:
> IBM shipped about 20 360/91s, then a couple of 360/95s with a
> redesigned memory subsystem, then the 360/195 which re-implemented the
> same machine on a faster, denser logic process, then that modified was
> to include the basic S/370 extensions (no virtual memory) and shipped
> as the 370/195.  About 40 machines of all four types (combined) were
> shipped.

in the 70s, the 195 people sucked me into doing some stuff with them on
370/195 "multiprocessor" that never shipped ... basically red/blue
multithreading mentioned here
http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/acs_end.html

the above also includes some other discussion of 195 ... although
primarily '60s 360 ACS ... which got canceled because executives thought
that it would advance the state-of-the-art too fast and they would loose
control of the market ... aka acs/360 would be significantly more
cost-effective machines (also describes some of the ACS features that
eventually show up in the 1990 ES/9000)

one of the things they told me was that another difference between
360/195 & 370/195 (besides the non-virtual memory 370 instructions) was
hardware instruction retry ... which greatly improved reliability.

195 execution units would do 10mips but required careful programming for
the pipeline ... which did out-of-order execution ... but not branch
preduction or speculative execution ... so conditional branches would
drain the pipeline. as a result, most codes ran around 5mips. motivation
for red/blue multitreading was the 10mips execution units would be kept
busy by two 5mip threads.

recent posts mentioning 370/195
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015.html#27 Webcasts - New Technology for System z
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015b.html#61 ou sont les VAXen d'antan, was
Variable-Length Instructions that aren't

this describes decision to make all 370 machines virtual memory
... basically MVT virtual memory allocation was so bad that typical
region size had to be four times larger than what was being used ...  a
1mbyte 370/165 running four regions could get 16 regions with virtual
memory and still have little or no paging.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011d.html#73 Multiple Virtual Memory

however, retrofitting 370 virtual memory hardware to 370/165 (for
165-II) was no trivial task ... eventually they decide to drop several
370 virtual memory features because they were too hard for the 165 ...
other machines would also have to drop those features ... and software
groups that had already written code using the dropped features would
have to be reworked.