On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> In
> <CAAJSdjgcPHDb60=apm36kvymoddqmd2fiefavq6my5zuqxw...@mail.gmail.com>,
> on 03/30/2015
>    at 08:34 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> said:
>
>>This is one main reason why I prefer the UNIX fork() philosophy
>>rather than "threading".
>
> That philosophy led to the insanity that a command can't pass back an
> environment variable to its caller.

OTOH, it stops the child from corrupting the parent's environment
variable space. And I do have a technique which can do _something_
about that. A short example would be to run the following in a UNIX
shell.

$(echo export BUBBA=bubba) # run the stdout of the enclosed command as
commands in the parent shell.

Yes, this is simplistic, but it results in the environment variable
BUBBA being set to "bubba" in the parent's shell. Of course, the
application needs to be written with this approach in mind. It can't
just use the setenv() or putenv() function.

>>But I still like the isolation of protect keys.
>
> What isolation? With everybody and his brother running key 8, the
> storage key mechanism is worthless for shared memory.

The fact that programmers are too lazy to use protect keys does not
make them "worthless". If _I_ were writing APF code which required me
to store data in _common_ memory (ECSA for example), then I would most
definitely _not_ use key 8. Given that I'm a paranoid person, I would
likely use fetch protected key 10 storage. Of course, I imagine that
we'd both agree that using a data space and AR mode would be superior.
The problem with that _might_ be if the data truly needed to be,
potentially, addressable in _every_ address space. That could be quite
"tricky" to do. Or at least a bit complicated compared to ECSA
storage.

--
If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown