Ken MacKenzie wrote:

>We are in the process of upgrading from COBOL 4.2 to 5.1 and, let me tell you,
>it's been a nightmare.

It will be a nightmare.

One question to the OP: Are your COBOL programs calling to or are called from
other programs compiled in languages like C++, Assembler, PL/I, etc?

Then there are compatibility issues with calls to / from DB systems as well to
their datasets. Are these systems compatibile with your new COBOL?

> ... and again, no matter how much you stress to developers, they'll try to
> wait till the last minute.

They will. Trust me... :-(
And the users of those programs don't want any downtime! Go figure.

>In the first release of COBOL 5, there was no AMODE(24) support.  That has now
>been changed ...

Sorry to bother you, but with what PTFs / APARs? Just curious if you don't mind
please.

>Whereas in previous versions of ECOBOL a minimum and maximum record length did
>not have to be specified when defining a variable file, v5.1 will return a
>file status of '04' if any record is less than or greater than the minimum /
>maximum specified.

Good catch! Thanks for telling.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht