I have been tasked with deploying Data Studio, the DB2 no charge offering in
the IBM Eclipse product set. z/OS, CICS and IMS explorers round out the no
charge offerings.
The target audience is not the long time, old time, 3270 types, but the short
time, new time Java, C# types who need to access z/OS data or resources
sometimes. They are not going to go through a 12 week master the mainframe
course since 90% of their work is off host.
I can get Data Studio working, even sort of compatibly with z/OS explorer. At
least both of these 2 will be deployed together.
I can get z/OS explorer to submit jcl, a requirement for some database
activities envisioned. Its builtin sysout retrieval function requires SDSF and
fairly heavy RACF configuration work.
However, we don't have SDSF; we have IOF. None of the necessary JES/RACF stuff
has been set up, even if IOF supports the function, to get z/OS explorer to
download the sysout. While SDSF and doing the configuration stuff is the
obvious answer, getting there would take an unplanned major effort.
My question: What other options do I have to be able to retrieve listings from
within Eclipse?
For specific use cases, we could write reports to datasets and then use the
z/OS explorer to browse the dataset. This approach would mean the listing would
be unavailable but any reports would be.
We can assume that their jcl will be comparatively simple (Less than 10 steps
and much of it generated and heavily reliant on procedures).
I've been considering FTP which has a JES interface.
For phase 1 of this activity we assume there might be 100 target developers.
Comments and suggestions most appreciated.

Edward Long