sipp...@sg.ibm.com (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> Let's take a brief look at this "not exactly new" history. I can fairly
> easily trace JES3 back a quarter century. (Perhaps somebody else would like
> to go back into the pre-Sysplex JES3 era, from 1973 to 1990, to see what
> IBM recommended and/or required.)

trivia ... my wife was in the gburg JES group and part of the "catchers"
of ASP (from the west coast) to turn into JES3. She then was part of the
authors of JESUS (JES unified system) that combined all the features
that the JES2 and JES3 customers couldn't live w/o ... but it never got
very far because of various internal political issues.

She then got con'ed into going to POK to be in charge of mainframe
loosely-coupled architecture ... where she did "peer-coupled shared
data" architecture. she didn't remain long because her architecture1 saw
very little uptake ... except for IMS hot-standby (until SYSPLEX and
parallel SYSPLEX).  She was also being badgered by the communication
group to force her into using SNA for loosely-coupled operation (there
would periodically be a truce where communication group had strategic
ownership of everything that crossed the datacenter walls and she could
use whatever she wanted within a datacenter ... but then they would
start badgering again).

I can't speak to the other issues ... but on the JES2 networking side in
the 70s & 80s ... not only couldn't JES2 talk to anything else
... talking to another JES2 at a different release level could result in
taking down both JES2 and the MVS system. The issue was that JES2
networking implementation intermixed networking control and job control
fields and minor release-to-release changes resulted in incompatible
systems.

On the internal network, JES nodes were kept at edge boundary
nodes. Major internal network talked to JES nodes by using drivers that
emulated JES protocol ... and because of the issues with JES
incompatible release vulnerabilities ... a large library of internal
network software drivers grew up that would not only format fields
expected for specific JES release being talked to ... but also handle
JES release reformating ... allowing different JES systems to
communicate. I've periodically commented on the infamous case of files
from San Jose disk plant site JES system resulting in Hursley MVS
crashes ... and it was blamed on the Hursley internal network
software. The actual issue was some new release-to-release JES field
incompatibility and the internal network software driver library hadn't
been updated to handle the new case (as part of countermeasure for
keeping JES systems at different release levels from crashing MVS
system).