From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Massimo Biancucci
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 10:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: DFSMS Compression.

Hi everybody,

occasionally I wonder how SMS Compression (Compaction=YES on DATACLASS) works
and how much, in terms of elapsed and CPU, does it modify the step execution.

In my shop I usually observe the obvious increase of CPU usage and a (maybe
less obvious) bigger elapsed time if compared to tape write.

In this "real example" I ran the same program with same input (a SMS compressed
dataset) writing to a SMS Compressed dataset, a DUMMY DD and a Virtual Tape
dataset.

The output dataset has more than 930 millions records. The final compression
ratio is more than 70%.

Looking at the step statistic:

Output - Compressed Dataset
STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP    CPU    SRB  CLOCK   SERV  PG   PAGE   SWAP
         ST040       00  1247K   8.65    .79  23.77 38592K   0      0      0

Output - DUMMY
STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP    CPU    SRB  CLOCK   SERV  PG   PAGE   SWAP
         ST040       00   201K   1.10    .04   2.24  4725K   0      0      0

Output - Virtual Tape Dataset
STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP    CPU    SRB  CLOCK   SERV  PG   PAGE   SWAP
         ST040       00  3730K   1.19    .20   8.86  7476K   0      0      0

What is not so clear to me is why the elapsed time does grow so much even
though there's no CPU constraint.

Because of the lower number of EXPCs I'd been expecting something less in terms
of elapsed or something similar.

An A.P.A. trace on the job while writing Compressed Dataset shows that more
then 80% of the TCB time in on Compression Services (of course it depends on
the fact the application itself uses a small amount of CPU).

I wasn't able to find out any further infos about how DFSMS compression works.

Finally, sometimes (observing other jobs) the behaviour is not so regular.

Thanks in advance for your hints.

Massimo

________________________________

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.