john.archie.mck...@gmail.com (John McKown) writes:
> As a side note (as I have heard it), the reason that Windows uses CRLF
> as a line ending is because MS-DOS did the same. MS-DOS used CRLF
> because CPM-80 used CRLF. And, finally, CPM-80 used CRLF because the
> common printers at the time could not do a carriage return / line feed
> in a single operation.  So, Gary Kindall (author of CPM-80) decided to
> end text files with CRLF so that he didn't need to complicate the
> printer driver to put a LF in when a CR was detected. This made good
> sense in the day that 64K RAM and a 1 Mhz 8080 was top of the line
> equipment for the hobbyist.

a little other topic drift from recent IBM antitrust thread

Other trivia ... also at the scientific center ... GML was invented at
the science center in 1969 (G, M, & L are the 1st letters of the
inventor's last name). This is posting by Sowa about GML being used by
IBM for documents used in the antitrust suit
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-04/msg00058.html

from above:

For text that was copied from the original OED, they got GML to produce
exactly the same line breaks and hyphenation.  They needed to get it
exactly right in order to aid the proof readers who had to make sure
that the new copy was identical to the old.

The GML-based software in the 1980s was far more flexible than MS Word
is today.  Just look at the OED and imagine how you might use MS Word to
match that exactly.

... snip ...

in the mid-60s at science center, CMS script was implementation of CTSS
runoff using "dot" formating controls ... then later, script was
enhanced to support GML tag processing. in late 70s, a vm370 SE in the
LA branch ... did implementation of CMS script on trs80 (NewScript)

and periodically mentioned ... before ms/dos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
there was seattle computer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Computer_Products
before seattle computer there was cp/m,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M
before cp/m, kildall worked with cp67/cms at npg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Postgraduate_School

other Sowa trivia ... on the failure of FS and how poorly 3081 compared
to competition
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm