>CNZ4200I CONSOLE L700 HAS FAILED. REASON=IOERR
>From that point forward, we did not get any IEF403I or IEF404I messages anymore

To answer my own question: The console has MONITOR-L set in consolxx, and there
was no setcon mn,jobnames=on issued anywhere (this is an ADCD system, after
all!). I haven't tested this yet, but it appears that not issuing the SETCON MN
command is responsible for IEF403I/404I getting tied to the availability of a
console.

Barbara