From: J O Skip Robinson
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 14:21
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: OT STCK question

My head is about to explode. In US English grammar, 'everyone' is and always
has been singular; 'they' is and always has been plural. I'm not talking about
'logical reference', just grammatical construction.

There's a big difference. In UK English, it's common to say 'the committee
are'. In US English, we say 'the committee is' even though there are multiple
people involved. In US we adhere to grammatical agreement; in UK, logical
agreement may prevail. I don't know about Canadian English.

I have no problem with 'they/them' as genderless generic pronouns. But failure
of number agreement is linguistic cacophony.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson