marktre...@gmail.com (Mark Regan) writes:
> "I recently learned about a bank in Japan that has been using a
> mainframe since the 1970's without a single second of downtime. Its
> architecture allows for full software and hardware upgrades without an
> outage."

i periodically mention that my wife had been con'ed into going to POK to
be in charge of loosely-coupled architecture where she did "peer-coupled
shared data" architecture. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#shareddata

She didn't say very long, in part because of on-going periodic battles
with communication group trying to force her to use sna/vtam for
loosely-coupled operation, as well as very little uptake (at the time)
... except for IMS hot-standby.

Around the turn of the century, we would periodically drop in on the
person that ran large financial transaction operation (33 liberty st,
nyc) ... and he credited 100% uptime to

1) automated operator
2) IMS hot-standby

... he had triple replicated IMS hot-standby operation at geographic
separated sites.

slight topic drift ... when Jim Gray left IBM Research for Tandem, he
palmed off bunch off stuff on me ... DBMS consulting with the IMS group,
interfacing with BofA, early adopter of original relational/SQL
implementation, etc ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr

At tandem he did study of what was causing outages. One of the things he
found was that hardware reliability was getting to point where it was
responsible for decreasing percentage of outages and other factors were
starting to dominate ... software faults, people mistakes, environmental
issues like power outages, floods, earthquakes, etc). summary/overview
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/grayft84.pdf

later we were doing IBM's (RS/6000) HA/CMP ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

and working on both commercial, DBMS ... old reference to
Jan1992 meeting in Ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

as well as technical with gov. agencies and national labs ... some
old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#medusa

While out marketing HA/CMP, I coined the terms "geographic
survivability" and "disaster survivability" to differentiate from
disaster/recovery ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#available

On the commercial side, the mainframe DB2 group were complaining if I
was allowed to continue ... it would be at least five years ahead of
them. Shortly later, the cluster scaleup part was transferred and
announced as the IBM supercomputer for technical and scientific *ONLY*
(and we were told we couldn't work on anything with more than four
processors).