Ah! The needle is used when you don't trust the sort machine! Now I get it. I hope nobody thinks of these as "The good old days" :)

Mike Schwab wrote:
Picture on Page 7.
http://ibm-1401.info/PunchedCard_Section-2.pdf
A mechanical card sorter would select a slot based on a hole in a
particular column.
When you remove the cards from a slot, you verify the proper cards
were selected by putting a small rod through that hole.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Tom Brennan