Another way is to install Hercules-390 on the Windows on UNIX (Linux?)
system. It is a S/370, XA, and zSeries emulator which uses AWS files for
its tape emulation. It is open source, but has binaries for Windows and
some Linux distributions (for RedHat Fedora Linux: dnf install hercules).
There are commands like: HETGET (read a tape file), HETMAP (do a "tape map"
function), and others. HET stands for Hercules Emulated Tape, I think. But
it supports AWS in addition to Hercules-390 "enhanced" AWS tape files.

http://www.hercules-390.org/

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a way to read a virtual tape file created by the AWSSL
> program from CBT 585 on windows or unix?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gadi
>

> ________________________________
> לשימת לבך, בהתאם לנהלי חברת מלם מערכות בע"מ ו/או כל חברת בת ו/או חברה
> קשורה שלה (להלן : "החברה") וזכויות החתימה בהן, כל הצעה, התחייבות או מצג
> מטעם החברה, מחייבים מסמך נפרד וחתום על ידי מורשי החתימה של החברה, הנושא את
> לוגו החברה או שמה המודפס ובצירוף חותמת החברה. בהעדר מסמך כאמור (לרבות מסמך
> סרוק) המצורף להודעת דואר אלקטרוני זאת, אין לראות באמור בהודעה אלא משום
> טיוטה לדיון, ואין להסתמך עליה לביצוע פעולה עסקית או משפטית כלשהי.
>
> Please note that in accordance with Malam and/or its subsidiaries
> (hereinafter : "Malam") regulations and signatory rights, no offer,
> agreement, concession or representation is binding on the Malam, unless
> accompanied by a duly signed separate document (or a scanned version
> thereof), affixed with the Malam seal.

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown