On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:45 PM, John McKown
<john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Versus what other distribution? RH was one of the first available. When I
> first tried, and failed, there was mainly only Slackware. I couldn't get
> that installed on my XT.

Ahhh... Good ol' Slackware. I tried that when it first came out and
used it for many years. Not sure if I ever tried SLS, which Slackware
was forked from. My first distribution of Linux was nothing more than
the boot/root floppies from tsx-11.mit.edu. After that and Slackware I
also moved to Redhat. Currently I too am on Fedora ... for now. Not
sure where else I can go. Debian is a political mess with the Systemd
war and Ubuntu on the desktop took a nose dive after version 8(?),
IMHO. Maybe I should check out BSD.

But you weren't going to get any Linux distribution running on your
XT. Linux has always required the memory management capabilities first
made available in the 80386. However, I think Minix could run on a XT.

> systemd is trying to do
> way too much, IMO.

Systemd is trying to do *everything*. And about the only distribution
that doesn't force you to use it (yet) is good ol' Slackware.

Jim