From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of william janulin
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RES: VSAM question

OK there has been an email trail on this but I believe I was not clear in my
explanations. It is my understanding that I can define VSAM clusters using a
DATACLASS parameter that specifies extended format as the dataset type and
extended addressability in order to get past the 4 gig limitation without
having the cluster under SMS management.

Now, I updated the DATACLASS interactively in ISMF and after running a SMS
update. it now shows that it has EXTENDED in the datasettype and extended
addressability set to YES. I then attempt to define the cluster but I am
getting that reason code of 110 in the define job.  If SMS updated the
dataclass, as I have indicated, why would ACS routines even be involved here?