> Must a symbol replace an entire qualifier, or part of one, such as

>      "SYMBOLICRELATE(TEST.J&NULL.CL.CNTL)"?

The symbol can replace part of a qualifier as in your example:

DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(TEST.NEWER.JCL.CNTL) SYMBOLICRELATE(TEST.J&NULL.CL.CNTL))

Referencing TEST.NEWER.JCL.CNTL translates to TEST.JCL.CNTL.

> Is the SYMBOLICRELATE name limited to 44 characters before substitution, or
> only after substitution?

It is limited to 44 characters before substitution:

    DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(TEST.NEWER.JCL.CNTL) -

     SYMBOLICRELATE( -

   TEST.SOME.DATASET.&NULL.NAME.LONGER.THAN.FORTY4))

IDC3201I CONSTANT 'TEST.SOME.DATASET.&' EXCEEDS LENGTH LIMIT

IDC3202I ABOVE TEXT BYPASSED UNTIL NEXT COMMAND. CONDITION CODE IS 12

Bill