michael.kni...@set.de (Michael Knigge) wrote:
All,

I’m currently installing and customizing an z/OS 2.1 ADCD. Until now, nearly
everything I’ve needed to customize is working pretty well, but there is just
one thing I really don’t get.

I don’t understand the way how z/OS brings volumes online on IPL. The ADCD
comes with several volumes and all are online after IPL. Now I’ve added an own
volume, assigned an address in the devmap file and did an IPL. Now… the volume
is always offline after IPL. I can bring it online with “V 0af1,online” but I
don’t know what I have to do that z/OS will bring it online automatically…
(BTW, the address I’ve choosen is present in HCD and I’ve formatted the volume
with ICKDSF).

I’ve read about a VATLST00 Member in SYS1.PARMLIB – but….. If I have to add my
volume to this member, why are all the ADCD-Volumes online automatically after
IPL (as these volumes are not listed there). Where is the magic?!?

I guess this is a pure z/OS Admin Beginner Question….

As Nathan suggested, HCD lets you specify whether volumes should be online or offline after IPL. The logic is backward for reasons lost in the mists of time (and which predate HCD); so, to have the volumes be online after IPL, you must set OFFLINE to NO.

The VATLST (Volume ATtribute LiST) is used to specify how online volumes are used. It does not let you change whether they are online or offline at IPL time. Attributes are defined in z/OS MVS Initialization & Tuning.

COMMNDxx and IEACMDxx (read about which to use when in z/OS MVS Init & Tuning Guide and/or Reference) are used to issue commands automatically. The commands, though issued early, are scheduled asynchronously. So if the volumes must be online very early, command completion might not be timely and HCD could be your only real alternative.

HTH,

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing