stars...@mindspring.com (Lizette Koehler) writes:
> For those of you going to share in Orlando, I would like to let you know
> that at Share Tom Conley will be giving a share presentation on Thursday
> 3:15p called
>
> Effective Use of the Internet for Mainframe Problem Solving
>
> This session will show better ways of posting and getting responses from
> various Lists.  As well as providing a list of Mainframe specific Lists.

a co-worker at the ibm cambridge science center was responsible for the
technology for the internal network (larger than the arpanet/internet
from just about the beginning until sometime late 85 or early 86) and
later bitnet (corporation sponsored univ. network) starting in the early
80s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edson_Hendricks

I was blamed for online computer conferencing on the internal network in
the late 70s & early 80s. folklore is that when the executive was told
about online computer conferencing (and the internal network) 5of6
wanted to fire me. this is email from person in paris given job of doing
EARN (bitnet equivalent in europe) looking for online applications
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#email840320

this is history of listserv creation in paris in 1986 ... somewhat
similar to the earlier internal online VMTOOL computer conferencing tool
(developed in the wake of my activities) ... although VMTOOL had both
usenet-like mode in addition to mailing list like mode.
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/history-listserv.asp
http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-history.asp
wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISTSERV

In the late 80s, the communication group was spreading misinformation as
part of convincing corporate to ocnvert the internal network to SNA/VTAM
... when it would have been much more efficient to have converted to
TCP/IP (like BITNET did).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BITNET
more mailing lists
http://www.lsoft.com/lists/list_q.html

some of the mailing lists gateway to usenet ... some bidirectional,
others only distribution (but not posting). usenet is also gatewayed
(usually bi-directional) to google groups

note that TYMSHARE had developed CMS-based online computer conferencing
system and made it avaialble to IBM SHARE organization starting in
Aug1976 ... archive:
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare

... for mainframe specific try search engine for "ibm mainframe discussion
group mailing list"