0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> Circa 1980 my then employer marketed a CCD SSD product which
> suffered timing incompatibilities, not because of transfer rate, but
> because of inter-block latencies.  It appeared that some VM paging
> code paths depended on completing while the inter-block gap was
> passing.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015f.html#86 Formal definituion of Speed Matching
Buffer

an issue would be if you simulated 3330 .. and formated 50byte (or
110byte) dummy records and had a simulated rotational spin rate much
faster than 3330 (it wasn't vm code paths, it was speed of chained CCW
channel processing).

I periodically mention getting to play disk engineer in bldgs 14&15
(sometimes they demanded I play disk engineer) ... past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

vm370 formated 3330s for paging so records were aligned on each track
... three 4kbyte pages per track ... and if there were queued requests
for records on same cylinder but different tracks would attempt to
optimize single channel program to transfer all pages in the minimum
number of revolutions. For CKD this would require seek head, search,
tic, read/write ... and in order to allow the channel time to execute
the CCWs while the disk was spinning, page area formating inserted dummy
records between page data records. It turns out that channel specs
(worst case 370) required 110byte dummy records given the 3330
rotational spin rate ... to allow channel time to process the CCWs (to
do a head switch) ... but track size only had room for 50byte dummy
records.

I did a test program that was run on 145, 148, 4341, 158, 168, 303x with
IBM disk controllers and various non-IBM disk controllers. IBM disk
controller could actually process the head switch CCWs with 50-byte
dummy record (w/o additional revolution), for most machines except 158 &
all 303x ... and some number of non-IBM disk controllers could do the
switch even with 158 & 303x (the issue is that for all models of 303x,
they used external channel director ... which was actually a 158 engine
with the slow integrated channel microcode and w/o the 370
microcode). 3081 channels also had problem doing CCW head-switch within
the 50byte dummy record window.  past posts on the subject
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#7 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#3 YKYGOW...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#17 index searching
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003g.html#22 303x, idals, dat, disk head settle,
and other rambling folklore
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#64 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#65 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#66 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#38 storage key question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005s.html#22 MVCIN instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#8 Why these original FORTRAN quirks?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008l.html#83 old 370 info
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#65 Speed of Old Hard Disks
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013e.html#61 32760?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014k.html#26 1950:  Northrop's Digital
Differential Analyzer

There was a different issue with code paths on 3880 controller.  After
FS death, there was mad rush to get stuff back into 370 product
pipelines (during FS period, internal politics had been killing off 370
efforts) and 303x and 370-xa were kicked off in parallel. 370-xa became
none as "811" for the Nov1978 date on most of the architecture
documents. When I saw SSCH, I thot that it was mostly to compensate for
the enormous interrupt pathlength in MVS. A big problem was that as
devices became faster, and load increased, there was significant
increasing device idle time while MVS went thru interrupt & redrive
overhead.

Earlier, the disk engineering lab had been testing using prescheduled,
stand-alone mainframe dedicated test time ... at one point they had
tried to use MVS ... but found it had 15min MTBF (requiring manual
re-ipl) in that environment. I volunteered to rewrite I/O supervisor so
it was bullet-proof and never fail so that any number of on-demand,
concurrent testing could go on (vastly increasing productivity). I also
setout to demonstrate the optimal interrupt processing and queued
request device redrive.

some bean counter had dictated that 3880 use a really slow control
processor (compared to 3830) and used dedicated circuits to get
3mbyte/sec transfer rate. The slow control processor showed up in
increased channel and controller busy as well as increase elapsed time
for channel program processing. To pass product acceptance test
(requiring 3880 appear to be within 5% of 3830 performance), they would
signal channel program complete (CE+DE) early ... before having actually
finished everything. The first time they put 3880 controller into use
with 16 3330s (and heavy load on 3033) replacing 3830 ... throughput
dropped almost in half. They had assumed that they could signal complete
and actually finish while software was executing interrupt and redrive
pathlength. However, my superfast redrive pathlength was hitting the
3880 while it was still busy ... and as a result it was forced to signal
CC1, csw-stored with SM+BUSY to the SIOF. Then later it would signal CUE
interrupt when it had actually finished. This was significantly driving
up overhead and latency (compared to 3830 controller).

Fortunately this was still six months before first-customer ship and
there was some time to do some compensation for the slow 3880 processor.
However, they still had increased channel busy ... compared to what the
3090 engineers had been assuming with something that was effectively
3830 3mbyte performance. 3090 had to compensate for the increased 3880
channel busy by doubling the number of channels in configuration
... which required an extra TCM, which increased 3090 manufacturing
costs (there was joke about 3090 billing the bean counter for each
additional 3090 TCM). Marketing also had to spin the vastly increased
number of channels as demonstrating the significant 3090 I/O power (when
it was actually a problem with really slow 3880 disk controllers).