On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:21:45 -0500, Joel Ewing wrote:

> My strong impression was that the erased IBG  between physical blocks was a
>requirement for proper sensing of beginning of a block.  The requirement
>that some 32-byte increments must be left unused for IBGs indicates
>these 32-byte groupings do not play the same role as fixed data blocks
>in FBA architecture devices.

"left unused"? or marked as unused?  (although this may be a distinction
without a difference).  And it may depend on choice of encoding technique:
NRZI?  MFM?  GCR: (0,2) RLL?  The last is interesting because it has 17
encodings available to represent a 4-bit nybble.  Some systems use the
extra code point to signal control information, which might be a logical IBG.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_limited#GCR:_.280.2C2.29_RLL

-- gil