On 2015-08-26 10:32, R.S. wrote:

> As John answered, none. However it could be nice and useful to have one. Just
> like (almost like) you described: Dump to unix file. The file can be then
> ftp'ed to PC, or just written on NFS-mounted PC drive directly, maybe on USB
> stick.
> Restore? IPL from USB stick, read data from same USB stick.
> Imagine z/OS installation process: put the stick two clicks and restore whole
> volumes. Or DR drill.

Almost like a desktop system?  Heck; IBM figures that anyone who
can afford a z can afford the resources to do it the hard way.

USB is an excellent idea.  Nowadays USB media are available with
greater capacity and (I think) higher transfer rate than DVD.

I've installed Linux from each of CD, USB Flash, and .iso.  Hmmm.
Doesn't the HMC run Linux?  I understand Linux can mount .iso
(driver needed?)  Surely the fastest option, once it's staged.

-- gil