From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Richard Pinion
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Volkswagen Programmed Vehicle to Deactivate Pollution Control
Systems

As an employee of a company who deals with HIPPA controlled/protected data, I
feel very uncomfortable knowing that I can be charged either with a civil or
criminal violation in the event that HIPPA data, under my control, is
accidentally lost or stolen.  And I am not talking about an intentional leak of
protected patient information.  What really floored me this year, when I took
the yearly HIPPA certification online class, was HIPPA is administered under
the Office of Civil Rights.

Regardless of my personal political theology, it makes me uncomfortable that if
I offend a person or persons, the friendly neighborhood OCR representative
could be asked to "look at" my activities as relating to HIPPA compliance.  I'm
sure an unbiased and diligent OCR employee might uncover some violation(s) if
they
investigated long and hard enough.