From: Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:25
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: How to limit tiny SMS-managed VSAM KSDS to one volume?

I need some advice from storage gurus. I need to make a tiny SMS-managed VSAM
KSDS that will NOT extend, neither to secondary space on the first volume nor
to secondary volumes. I need to test some error logic in an application program
and I need a "file full" or "no more space" condition to test it.

I have these parameters in the define cluster command:

VOLUME(*) CYL (1 0)

But when I try to fill up that file with IDCAMS REPRO so that there is no more
room for any records by copying from a similar file with many records into the
tiny one, it automatically extends to new volumes, with messages like this:

SMS4000I TSOUSERZ, MKTSTFIL, SYS00001, ATTEMPTING SPACVOLA FOR TSOUSER.
TINY.DATA, XXXXXX, 1
SMS4400I VOLUME ADDED - OLD VOLUME XXXXXX, NEW VOLUME SMS . VOLUME COUNT IS 2

I assume this is due to some hidden parameter in the STORCLAS that overrides my
specification of only one candidate volume.

My question is, how do I override that hidden STORCLAS parameter to force a
no-more-space error here? I deliberately want the attempt to add one more
record to force an error.

I do NOT have easy access to a storage admin on this system, so I need help
from you. ISMF is not available in my TSO menus, so I cannot check the STORCLAS
for myself.

TIA for any help you can offer.

Peter

attachments from your system.