On 9/30/2015 4:31 PM, Thomas Conley wrote:
On 9/30/2015 12:25 PM, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
I need some advice from storage gurus.  I need to make a tiny
SMS-managed VSAM KSDS that will NOT extend, neither to secondary space
on the first volume nor to secondary volumes.  I need to test some
error logic in an application program and I need a "file full" or "no
more space" condition to test it.

I have these parameters in the define cluster command:

VOLUME(*) CYL (1 0)

But when I try to fill up that file with IDCAMS REPRO so that there is
no more room for any records by copying from a similar file with many
records into the tiny one, it automatically extends to new volumes,
with messages like this:

SMS4000I TSOUSERZ, MKTSTFIL, SYS00001, ATTEMPTING SPACVOLA FOR
TSOUSER. TINY.DATA, XXXXXX, 1
SMS4400I VOLUME ADDED - OLD VOLUME XXXXXX, NEW VOLUME SMS . VOLUME
COUNT IS 2

I assume this is due to some hidden parameter in the STORCLAS that
overrides my specification of only one candidate volume.

My question is, how do I override that hidden STORCLAS parameter to
force a no-more-space error here?  I deliberately want the attempt to
add one more record to force an error.

I do NOT have easy access to a storage admin on this system, so I need
help from you.  ISMF is not available in my TSO menus, so I cannot
check the STORCLAS for myself.

TIA for any help you can offer.

Peter,

Add a //ACCIGN DD DUMMY to your allocation and run JCL to bypass ACC/SRS
processing.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Oops, I saw earlier that these were ACC/SRS messages, but I see now that they're Stop X37 ProSMS messages. In that case, try //PROIGN DD DUMMY or if that doesn't work //NOPLD DD DUMMY.

Regards,
Tom Conley