From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Savor, Thomas (Norcross)
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2015 10:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How the determine dataset is PDSE

>One might wonder why it matters.  I suppose it might.  Does the OP also want
>to distinguish the cases of:
Don’t care about UNIX.
Yes, it is in some of my assembler programs.
I have a bunch of PDS utility batch programs that have worked fine for PDS.
But for PDSe not so much.
On a PDS...reading the directory...a use MACRF=R,RECFM=U....works great.
On a PDSE...reading the directory....it looks like I need MACRF=R,RECFM=FB.

We have both PDS's and PDSe's everywhere.

So, I would like to Open the DD, then determine what type of PDS it is, then
process file.
I may have to close, change DCB field and re-open.
Or determine what type of PDS a file is before opening it...if that's possible.