I recommend consulting IBM's "z/OS Communications Server: IP Sockets
Application Programming Interface Guide and Reference," IBM Publication No.
SC27-3660. Here's the latest revision I can find, as a PDF, but please
check for a later revision if you're reading this post some time after I
wrote it.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/f1a2d410.pdf

I recommend choosing interfaces that support both IPv6 and IPv4 and making
sure that your code ends up supporting both. Chapter 13, in particular, is
likely to be helpful.

You may also wish to refer to "z/OS UNIX System Services Programming:
Assembler Callable Services Reference," IBM Publication No. SC23-2281, and
perhaps other z/OS UNIX System Services references.

As a general recommendation, don't try to "reinvent the wheel." UDP-related
programming is quite low level. Is that programming work worth doing when
somebody else (e.g. IBM, Eclipse Paho, etc.) may have already done it for
you? "Omit needless coding."

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com