From:   Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   31/10/2015 13:56
Subject:        Re: Releasing Orphan Storage without IPL
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

>Remember that CSA and ECSA can overflow to SQA and ESQA, so you have
>more air in you (E)CSA than the 2% and 3% and this might help you
>survive until the next scheduled IPL.

Actually, it's the other way around, as I think of it.

CSA can be converted into SQA. If a request to obtain storage from SQA
cannot find it from the defined SQA, the system may convert CSA to satisfy

the request.

It will not do the reverse.

This is why some customers will underconfigure SQA and overconfigure CSA.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design