Jon,

Is there a way to keep the type checking on the required parameters and also
allow the trailing parameters to not be specified?

The type checking is extremely useful to my customers and I'd hate to lose it
completely.  I'd prefer some syntax where I can say

99(char (*) optional,
  char (*) optional,
  Fixed Bin(31) optional)

or some variation that keeps both the type checking and the number of
parameters checking.  I can live with losing the type checking on the optional
parameters, as long as I can keep the type checking on the required parameters.

Janet