>The problem that I am experiencing is that the data is being sorted using the
>ASCII collating sequence (i.e., numerics precede alphabetics).

I understand the UNIX sort shell command always sorts according to the
*collating sequence* defined in the current locale. Is't not ASCII and it's not
EBCDIC, it's not a sort in the binary content of the bytes.

I had not looked into this in detail before but it seems that the C-locale (the
default) defines that digits collate before upper case and upper case before
lower case. Other locales do otherwise, e.g. De_CH seems to define digits
collate before letters, and lower case and upper case letters collate equally,
i.e. ther is no diference between 'a' and 'A'.

You should be able to see the difference is you add a stem containing one
variable "LC_COLLATE=..." to your bpxwunix call.

Now with all this said, I can't come up with a solution to your problem, namely
sorting the stem in strict binary sequence.

--

ßph