From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RECEIVE command in z/OS

Block  5 is   124 bytes.

Block  6 is   124 bytes.

Block  7 is   124 bytes.

Block  8 is   124 bytes.

Block  9 is   124 bytes.

Block 10 is   124 bytes.

READY

END

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 06:32:46 +0530 Paul Gilmartin

wrote

>On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:47:49 -0500, Tony Harminc wrote:

>On 10 November 2015 at 19:04, Bharath Nunepalli wrote:

>> The confusing part here is the size of the Output dataset.

>> Input dataset is 1.7 GB, but the Output dataset is 8.1 GB.

>> Do you think this happened due to BLKSIZE(132) value??

>Yes, certainly. BLKSIZE of 132 is hopelessly space-wasting (and slow).

>If you need to preallocate, you can do that without specifying a

>BLKSIZE (SMS should choose a good one for you), or specify

>BLKSIZE=27998, which is half-track for a 3390.

Yes. With LRECL=128,BLKSIZE=132, you'll get only one record per

block. Most of your space will be interblock gaps.

But I'm skeptical that such an adverse input format could result in

even worse output. I'd like to see the output of this Rexx EXEC applied

to both your input and output data sets:

user@OS/390.24.00: cat rexxdump

/* Rexx */ signal on novalue; /*

  Doc: simple minded data set dump. Requires z/OS 2.1 or higher.

*/

if 0 then trace R

Dataset = userid()'.ISFUNLD.BADSYM.JOB08364.PAX.Z' /* Supply yours. */

say BPXWDYN( 'alloc rtddn(DD) dsn('Dataset') shr recfm(U) blksize(32760)
msg(2)' )

do I = 1 to 10

  address 'MVS' 'EXECIO 1 DISKR' DD '(stem L.'

  if RC0 then return( RC * (RC2) )

  say 'Block'right( I, 3 ) 'is'right( length( L.1 ), 6 ) 'bytes.'

  end I

/*
*****************************************************************************/

user@OS/390.24.00:

user@OS/390.24.00: rexxdump # sample output

0

Block 1 is 27998 bytes.

Block 2 is 4294 bytes.

user@OS/390.24.00:

-- gil

you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you
are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
information is strictly prohibited.