stars...@mindspring.com (Lizette Koehler) writes:
> Gene Amdahl, who helped IBM usher in general-purpose computers in the 1960s
> and
> challenged the company's dominance a decade later with his eponymous machines,
> has died. He was 92.
> He died on Nov. 10 at Vi at Palo Alto, a continuing care retirement community
> in
> Palo Alto, California, his wife Marian Amdahl said in a telephone interview.
> The
> cause was pneumonia, and he had Alzheimer's disease for about five years.

end of ACS, Amdahl shutdown ACS-360
http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/acs_end.html

ACS was shutdown after ibm management decided it would advance state of
the art too fast and they could loose control of the market. Talks about
ACS features that finally show up in ES/9000 more than two decades
later. Also references multithreading patents. I had gotten sucked into
a project that was looking at multithreading 370/195 ... which never
shipped.

Early 70s, there was FS project that was completely different than
360&370 and was going to completely replace 360/370 ... and internal
politics was shutting down 370 efforts. Lack of 370 products during this
period is credited with giving clone processors market foothold.
http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/fs.html